Recipes like this are one of the reasons I laugh in the face of “value menus” and microwave meals- and this simple beauty makes 10 servings. As far as I know, there’s not a fast food chain around that can complete with my prices! I include a lot of vegan meals in my menu planning- it helps drastically drive down your grocery bills, and it ensures you get nice big servings of vegetables, plus it’s delicious.
Ingredients- (makes 10 servings)
1 large head cauliflower ($1.29)
4 cups water (free!)
1 small can tomato paste (.70)
1 can kidney beans (.33)
1 can chickpeas (.33)
1 cup frozen peas (.25)
1 bouillon (.22)
3 cups rice (.25) – made separately and set aside
1 tsp. cumin (.03)
1 tsp. vindaloo curry (.05)
1 tsp. onion powder (.03)
1/2 tsp. basil (.03)
salt to taste
Step By Step
1. First heat your water to nearly boiling. I used a dutch oven to cook this, but you could use a large lidded pot.
2. While your water is heating up, go ahead and slice your cauliflower. It will get tender while cooking so you can leave it in fairly large slices for now and break it apart with a spoon when it’s softer.
3. Now that your water is warm, add in the bouillon, tomato paste, and all of the herbs.
4. Now add your cauliflower to the pot. Cover and cook over high for about 15 minutes. You may want to stir it occasionally so that each piece of cauliflower has a chance to be submerged.
5. Your cauliflower should be lovely and tender now. You can take this time to break it up more with a wooden spoon. Add in your beans now and cook for an additional 10 minutes covered over medium heat.
6. Now add in the peas and mix. Continue cooking over low heat, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Taste to see if you need any more salt- add if desired.