This is a wonderful veggie filled casserole, it’s suitable for vegans and gluten free folk as well! It’s filled with carrots, potatoes, broccoli, leeks, garlic, pecans, and more- all in one delicious dish!
Ingredients- makes 15 side dish servings- or about 7 entree size servings
3 small leeks ($1.29)
3 white potatoes ($0.68)
1 head broccoli ($0.75)
2 large carrots ($0.37)
4 cloves garlic ($0.12)
2 plum tomatoes ($0.48)
1 cup pecans ($1.25)
1.5 cups crushed tomatoes ($1.12)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil ($0.18)
olive oil ($0.10)
Step by Step
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash and scallop potatoes and carrots. Scallop the carrots at an angle so that each slice is elongated.
3. Grease your casserole pan with olive oil. Layer in first the potato (overlapping each slice) and then the carrots.
4. Cover with crushed tomatoes and bake for 45 minutes.
5. Saute leeks and garlic in oil until tender, when they are done set them aside.
6. Chop broccoli florets and puree in a food processor along with pecans, fresh basil, and olive oil.
7. Layer leeks, and then broccoli pecan mixture on top of casserole. Bake for 10 minutes.
8. Slice your tomatoes and layer them on top of the broccoli mixture, press them into the mixture using moderate pressure. Drizzle a bit of olive oil on top and place back in oven for 15 minutes.
Let this cool for about five minutes before slicing!