I love making fancy brunch food, this combo is definitely guest worthy. Both the peppers and potatoes were 99 cents a pound, and the only other ingredients in the dish are herbs, eggs, frozen spinach, and olive oil! This is the perfect meal to make for guests: easy to make, very little hands on time, delicious, and as a bonus it has an upscale presentation that is sure to impress.
6 small bell peppers ($2.24)
12 small-medium white potatoes ($3.76)
5 eggs ($0.80)
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach ($0.40)
1 tsp. black pepper ($0.05)
6 tbsp. olive oil ($0.90)
Step by Step
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Now wash and dice your potatoes. I use white potatoes and keep the skin on. Throw them all in a big bowl and toss evenly and generously with olive oil and black pepper. Add more spices if desired (we like our home fries with a kick so I add some cayenne).
3. Now you want to spread your homefries in a baking pan. I use pyrex because it tends not to stick. Be sure that the homefries are not piled very high in the dish, if you need to just use two different vessels for baking to avoid crowding.
4. Bake homefries for about 30 minutes, stir once in the middle of cooking.
5. Now prep your peppers. Cut off the tops and remove seeds and white portions from inside. Now line a baking pan with foil, rub each pepper with a small amount of olive oil. Place the peppers opening down, with the tops next to them on the sheet. Bake empty peppers for about 15 minutes.
6. While peppers and potatoes are in the oven, whisk together spinach and eggs. Again you can add extra spices here if you like. I sometimes add fresh dill, rosemary, or even onion powder. Once your egg mixture is ready, take peppers out of the oven. I leave my potatoes in the entire time, stirring occasionally to make sure they don’t begin to burn or stick.
7. Now fill you peppers with egg mixture. Put them back in the oven and bake until the eggs are solid (probably about 15-20 minutes).
Now your pepper pots and homefries should be done! Give each guest one pepper, a mess of homefries, and toast!